Guide to Al Durah: Recent Posts

For those coming here to get background on the Al Durah Affair and the ongoing trials, I offer a quick survey of the material I’ve posted with a few other links:

The full dossier on both Pallywood and Al Durah can be found at The Second Draft.

For those who have yet to see either of the two “video essays” we’ve done on Pallywood and Al Durah: The Making of an Icon, go to Pallywood and Al Durah Up at YouTube for the easiest links. There is a French version of Pallywood, and of Al Durah: The Making of an Icon, and a Spanish version of Pallywood.

For a general introduction to the upcoming trials and the larger stakes involved, see The Al Durah Trials: Portrait of French Culture at the Beginning of the 21st Century.

In French: Procès Al-Durah : état d’esprit de la France du début du XXIe siècle

For a discussion of the raw footage shot by Talal abu Rahmeh, the France2 cameraman who alone caught the “Al Durah footage,” see Al Durah Affair I: France2 Rushes by Talal Abu Rahmeh. It was viewing these rushes that inspired the term Pallywood.

For a discussion of some of the evidence surrounding the most curious thing about footage depicting a child killed by a bullet to the stomach who bled for twenty minutes in front of the cameraman — the absence of blood — see Blood? We’ve Got Some.

For a discussion of the remarkable resistance to even imagining, much less accepting the “staged” hypothesis, see Al Durah as Staged: The Resistance.

For a discussion of the “five scenarios” and James Fallows current position on the matter, see Fallows on al Durah: What is your Position?

For a long meditation (response to Zombietime) on what’s wrong with the media that such cheap fakes get by so consistently, see Meditations on Reutersgate: What’s Going on in the MSM?.

For a discussion of the impact of Al Durah in the Arab and Muslim world, see:
Al Durah in the Arab/Muslim World: Reception and Consequences Part I

For a discussion of the toxic effect of al Durah on French (and by extension, European) society in the early 21st century (including the advent of the Arab/Muslim “street” in Europe, see: On the hidden costs of Media Error: Muhamed al Durah and the French Intifada, and now en français au site d’Alain Jean-Mairet: Les coûts cachés des erreurs des médias: Mohammed al Dura et l’intifada française.

Pretrial Musings:
Mine: Paris Thoughts: Meditations on the Eve of the Trial
Nidra Poller’s: Al Durah the Trial: Part I

On the first trial, see:

My initial reactions at: Vive la France Republicaine: Elle Vit Toujours!

Nidra Poller’s two accounts at Pajamas Media: Part I (Pre-trial thoughts), Part II (initial post-trial reaction), and Part III (blow-by-blow).

Also one of the better MSM accounts with references to others:Cybercast News Service Weighs in on Al Durah Trial

Neo-con has a number of excellent meditations on the trials and the al Durah affair:
What’s behind France2′s stance in the al Durah case?: the press and honesty
Fake but accurate: what if it’s turtles all the way down?
and more.

For those who want to read farther, go to the Introductory Essays section at the Second Draft or the exhaustive linked bibliography at Menahem Macina’s Debriefing.org.

If anyone knows of other articles, or has written reflections on this issue that they’d like posted here, please feel free to send them to me. As anyone who has read me on the topic knows, I think this story has wide-ranging and profound implications for our entire dilemma today. I welcome the thoughts of other observers and analysts. I also particularly invite French comment.

10 Responses to Guide to Al Durah: Recent Posts

a woman named Helene Keller or Helene Keller Lind or Helene Lind wrote an article as far back as December 2000 that appeared in a French-language monthly magazine published in Israel, in Ashdod I believe. This article debunked much of the claims made for the al-Durah myth that far back.

I myself wrote to France2 or perhaps it was L’Express in October 2000 asking how bullets could have penetrated the barrel if it was between al-Durah [father & son] and the Israeli position. On the other hand, if the barrel wasn’t between them Israelis and the father/son, then why were they hiding there at all?
    [btw, I then received France2 on Israeli cable TV and had the pleasure, or at the least the stirring experience, of watching Leila Shahid do her act for the French. Hanan Ashrawi is nothing compared to Shahid, her sister.].

The French-language magazine published in Israel was called Israel Magazine.

3. UpNights says:

In the recent al-Qaeda video celebrating their 9/11 attack, guess what makes an appearance?

4. Al Durah Trials — September 14th:

The trials of three French citizens that used the internet to criticize France 2′s coverage of the Mohammed Al Durah affair will be held at the Palais de Justice in Paris on September 14th. Richard Landes of Augean Stables has…

5. Michael B says:

Absolutely superb, even masterful work here on this topic.

A conscientious and thoroughgoing attention to detail, both as pertains to contemporary and historical subject matter, can be powerfully illuminating.

6. A Scent of Dreyfus: A Trail of Jihad – The Al-Dura Affair

Ellen W. Horowitz on the Al-Dura affair in France and beyond: “If Place de la Republique was schizophrenic back in the summer of 1999, then by the autumn of 2000 it was overtly psychopathic. You would think that the…

7. MANNY NAZZAL says:

DEAR RICHARD…………YOU WROTE THAT OPPOSITION IS TRUE FRIENDSHIP , RIGHT ? OK . SURE THERE ARE ACTS
    OF PEOPLE BEING DISHONEST………..BUT YOU CANNOT HIDE THE TRUTH OF DEIR YASSAN , SABRA AND SHATILA AND EARLIER ATROCITIES . ISLAMIC RACISM EXISTS , AND I WILL NOT DENY THAT . BUT JEWISH SUPREMISM ALSO EXISTS.
    WAS DEIR YASSAN AND OTHER ATROCITIES ALL PALLYWOOD ??
    DO YOU REMEMBER BACK IN THE EARLY 80′S WHEN A MAN BY THE NAME OF ALEX ODEH SAID SOME THINGS ABOUT THAT SHIP THAT WAS HIJACKED…….THE ACCHILLE LAURAL OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT . WELL , HE WAS KILLED WHEN HE ENTERED HIS OFFICE ONE MORNING , A BOMB WENT OFF . THE FBI CONCLUDED THAT THE JDL COMMITTED THAT CRIME . THE SUSPECTS TOOK OFF TO ISRAEL AND WERE DENIED BEING SENT BACK TO THE UNITED STATES WHEN THE FBI ASKED FOR THEIR EXTRADITION . NOW I KNOW HOW THE JDL HAS MUCH HATRED FOR ALL ARABS . MY MOTHER TELLS ME NOT TO WRITE THE THINGS I WRITE TO YOU BECAUSE SHE FEARS FOR OUR SAFETY . HER AND MY FATHER WERE VICTIMS OF A HATE CRIME ABOUT 5 YEARS AGO . ANYWAY MY FATHER IS DEAD AND I LIVE WITH MY MOTHER . SHE IS SCARED TO BE ALONE . BUT FROM MY COMMUNICATION WITH YOU , I KNOW YOUR NOT INTO VIOLENCE . I’M NOT EITHER . GIVE ME YOUR THOUGHTS…….THANK YOU………..MANNY NAZZAL

8. Jon Newman says:

Professor,
    I made your acquaintance at a conference a few years ago. I’m a grad student in medieval studies in a large urban center, and I feel assaulted by the constant stream of libelous anti-Israeli propaganda to which I’m subjected in the form of flyers and other activities of a coalition of campus activists who refer to themselves as the anti-Israeli Apartheid something-or-other.

Unfortunately the subject is taboo among colleagues (except for close friends); how can I proclaim myself a liberal progressive Zionist when it has come to be respectable opinion that Zionism is racism, that apologizing for Zionism is defending racism? Even I have come to accept the claim that Zionism is a kind of old-fashioned blood-and-soil nationalism, and accept the ‘fact’ that as such, it is inherently illiberal, but as a Jew, I must make this moral compromise for the safety and survival of my people.

You’ve given me some different ways to think about it, to get out of that rut, and I appreciate that.

However, I worry that your zero-sum/prime-divider distinction could be misused to unfairly valorize Western society and denigrate Arab (or Persian or whoever) culture. Isn’t this a refashioning of the hoary Hegelian (and pre-Hegelian idea) of Western liberty versus “oriental despotism”, even if it removes any explicit east/west us/them axis? Precisely because it’s embedded in a conversation that we as Westerners are having about them (Arabs)? Or am I being confused by the PCP, as it were?

9. N00man says:

I’m not sure what happened to my post– I was posting from a public terminal so there may have been a techical glitch, but my points were as follows.

I agree with your analyses of the cause and effects of anti-Israeli media bias. I also find it refreshing to see a defense of Israel that isn’t larded with the cant of the right-wing blathosphere, mostly; is the idea of “Bush Derangement Syndrome” meaningful in civil discourse. My views would mostly be called liberal, and I’ve sometimes felt persuaded that these views are incompatible with my Zionism since the latter is an ideology of ethnic nationalism. I allowed that the surival of the Jewish people and their values required sustaining such a tragic compromise, a view poignantly expressed by Spielberg’s Munich.

With your distinction of societies between non-zero-sum and prime divider, I’ve come to understand that not all ethnic nationalisms are the same, and that the only reason, after all, that Zionism precludes peaceful co-existence with the arabs is that Islamism and Arabic Nationalism precludes peaceful co-existence with Jews.

At the same time, I worry that this non-zero-sum/prime divider distinction can be misused, and adapted to an old-fasheiond right-Hegelian ideology that dialectically pits Eastern despotism against Western/Hellenic liberty. Surely these attributes admit of mixture and degree? I wouldn’t exactly call PNAC “non-zero-sum” in their strategic assumption. On the other hand, there are genuine Muslim critics of Islamism. Of course, they all live in hiding in the West.

10. Gershon says:

Tomorrow is the six-year anniversary of al Dura incident. 19 October 2006 will be the verdict of the trial in France. Will France2 and Charles Enderlein continue to spread news like this of the terrorist poster boy?