Geert Wider’s Fitna is now available for viewing

Geert Wilder’s film on Islam — Fitna (Dissension, Civil War) — which has been rejected from theaters and repeatedly blocked from websites for offending Muslims and engaging in hate speech, is now available.

Watch it, and ask yourself: Is documenting hate speech, hate speech?

Further reflections:

View this movie with the “eyes” of a jihadi Muslim who doesn’t know who made it, and believes in the destiny of Islam to conquer the world by any means. You see quotes from the Qur’an about engaging in Jihad; you hear preachers calling for jihad; you see victims of Jihadi attacks. Take out the Muhammad Cartoon, the Western music, and final coda, and I think he’d go, “Yessss!”

This could well be a recruiting device for Jihadis (e.g., considerably more elegant and to the point that Osama bin Laden’s long rambling recruiting video.

Note that the Muslims most engaged in the violence the Europeans so fear this movie will provoke, are precisely those who would find the contents unexceptional. So why are they threatening to riot?

Interestingly, the response has been remarkably muted so far. But note this comment from an al Qaeda member:

A militant believed linked to al-Qaida’s deputy chief Ayman al-Zawahri told The Associated Press in the northwestern city of Peshawar last week militants would mount revenge attacks against foreigners because of Wilders’ film.

“Foreigners will be attacked. The situation will change, change, change,” said Qari Mohammed Yusuf, whose also said his two brothers died fighting alongside al-Zawahri. “The reaction was in (the Pakistani tribal region of) Waziristan before, but tomorrow it will be in Kabul and even in Holland and in Denmark.

Revenge for what? Quoting his buddies?

13 Responses to Geert Wider’s Fitna is now available for viewing

1. Andrea (Den Haag, NL) says:

Documenting what? Some of Wilders blunders:
    - The use of the Danish cartoon was not authorized by the cartoonist. He just called Wilders a thief in an interview on Dutch TV.
    - He changed some words on the verses (soerat 8, vers 60 does not say ‘terrorize’)
    - The image he uses of Van Gogh’s killer is actually a Moroccan raper. Proof that xenophobes think that all Muslims look and act the same.

The film is a pamphlet. It tries to associate the deeds of some lunatics (who try to justify themselves with the Koran) with ALL the moslims. It is like saying that ALL Ameircans like to go into universities and shoot at least 20 people, just as a hobby. It is NOT TRUE.

Just as a note: I am not a Muslim. I am an atheist who studied Media and Communication (including propaganda).

2. fp says:

According to the behavior of the dutch govt, society and even network solution it is.

but we know what they are. and they deserve what they’ll get because of it.

fp

3. Fitna reveals nothing new. It’s a restatement of what Islam has been openly saying from the first. In a sense, they can be respected for that as compared to the moral misfits who are dominating Western governments, who have no foundation of courage from which to act. Fitna will be of incalculable value only if it’s seen by those who “don’t want any problems.”

I had just tried to find Fitna on YouTube. Diabolically, “they” have produced numerous trashy films with the same name in an attempt to hide it. After closing YouTube in frustration, I chanced upon it on American Thinker.

PHG

4. FITNA en LIVELEAK

Después de todos los problemas para su publicación, por fin Fitna ha sido publicada gracias a Liveleak via Wake up America y Michelle Malkin. Sed pacientes porque todo el mundo la está intentando ver y tarda (bastante) en cargarse (de hecho, no la he…

5. Richard Landes says:

Dear Andrea, thank you for your comment. I have some comments and questions for you.

1) At four out of ten translations of this passage use the word either “terrorize” or “strike terror into the heart of…”

Here is the translation of a pious Muslim (and a “liberal”), Yusuf Ali:

Against them make ready your strength to the utmost of your power, including steeds of war, to strike terror into (the hearts of) the enemies, of Allah and your enemies, and others besides, whom ye may not know, but whom Allah doth know. Whatever ye shall spend in the cause of Allah, shall be repaid unto you, and ye shall not be treated unjustly.

Who told you it was mistranslated?

Your larger remark is more interesting. Is this your considered opinion after studying the current Islamic discourse in the Muslim world? Or is this what you’ve been told. I think your comparison with shooters at US universities is quite bizarre. There is no ideology or sacred texts that these shooters ues; they are roundly denounced by everyone at the universities. There’s nothing remotely “universitarian” about their behavior. They really are a pathological abnormality.

On the other hand — and here, i really am asking for your help in understanding where you are coming from and if you actually have substantive knowledge of this matter — my own knowledge of what goes on in current (21st century) Islam is that this jihadi strain is not only a very strong current, even dominant, but one that the moderates (whom, if i understand, you consider the holders of the mainstream islamic tradition) have enormous difficulty countering when they muster the courage to do so publicly. So your analogy seems a bit inappropriate.

i look forward to your response.

6. Solomonia says:

The Movie Everyone’s Talking About: Fitna (Update!)

[Bumping this up.] Geert Wilders’ film is out (in case you didn’t know by now). Here’s the full 15 minutes. It’s in Dutch, but you get the picture. (Got the English) "Subtle" is not the word that comes to mind….

7. fp says:

Paul,

2 points:

1. even though it’s nothing new, a vast majority in the west is either unaware or in denial of it. Such a well publicized film may make some aware of the dangers.

2. one of the points is freedom of speech and this has proven the full cowardice and self-destructive nature of western civilization.

richard,

speaking of cowardice, andrea has some probably induced interpretations of the film. but let’s assume that all she says is correct (which it is not). even then it is astounding that she has no concern at all about the problems of islamism (part. given that her country is experiencing the consequences daily), but is criticizing wilders.

if that does not tell you everything you need to know about why europe is finished, nothing will. And it deserves it too.

fp

8. Joanne says:

So…let me see if I got this right:

Al-Qaeda has threatened violent attacks against Westerners in revenge for a film claiming that radical Muslims preach and commit violence against Westerners.

9. Hard Rain says:

The few Qu’ranic verses mentioned in Fitna are a dime a dozen in the rest of the text. Can they all be challenged as simple mistranslation when they are quite clear in meaning?

Here are just two explicit examples which also feature “terror”:

Sura (8:12) – “I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them”

Sura (3:151) – “Soon shall We cast terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers…”

Though the translations may dance around with synonyms and different phrasing the message remains the same.

Source: http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/

10. Andrea (Den Haag, NL) says:

I am sorry for the very long reply but your replies touch a variety of points and I want to respond to them all. A complex subject can never be treated with one-liners. My comparisons might seem trivial to you but I think the subject of study is the human being and bad/good news: we all fart, shit, eat, have sex, breathe, drink, etc, etc.

I guess fp comes from this tradition of seeing good vs evil, god vs satan, etc. Which is pretty common on all societies based on a monotheistic religion. I was raised as a methodist and held the same views until one day I realized it was all based in fear: you are either with him (god) or with him (satan). I took a step out to look at the world as it is and gave up this battle which is not mine and which wasted my life for so many years. After all the only thing I am certain that I have is this life.

I studied Media and Communication and I keep myself busy studying humans in social groups and looking lots into history. The last four years I have been studying language, working as a voluntary at the Old Dutch Dictionary. You might think some words sort of mean the same so it doesn’t matter which one yo use. However terror has been linked since the last 10 years with specific actions therefore it’s meaning has changed and it’s deliberate use is very important. We see terror all the time in the news linked to bombs mostly in Iraq so when we hear one of it’s variations we MAINLY think of that. It is very likely that many will also think of gore movies, of course. But in Fitna you see terror next to a bleeding kid and what do you think? BTW It seems the kid is taking part of a religious festivity, much like the crucifictions in the Philippines. I haven’t had time to look into this yet but I wouldn’t be surprised if is true. After all Wilders has just been lying and lying and lying. I have read and heard most of his statements and he wants freedom of speech, claims he will die for it yet when a (Dutch white) artist made a piece of work about him Wilders demanded the artist because itw as “offensive”. I am sorry but the guy is really nuts and paranoid and as I said I will not fight his “battle”.

Now, there is no ideology which is 100% pure nor is it ever ordered from above. There are all kinds of factors that determine how an idea will be put into practice. I think on one side you have people who say this should be done like this and that and then you have the everyday people just going on with their businness, wanting to see their kids married, worrying if the crop will be good this year, worrying about their jobs, falling in love, being sick, being sad, wondeirng how to finish paying-off the car, etc. Iran for example has this crazy religious government but most people do not share their views. I think many pretend to do because then you can survive, just talk to anybody that lived under a totalitarian regime. Here I am talking about Iran as a totalitarian regime with Islamic flavour and since not all Islamic governments behave like that I cannot say that all Islamic governments are totalitarian. Iran is one thing, it’s government another and the Muslim baker at the corner is yet another. Because of your fear of a crazy leader in a country far away my neighbour should suffer discrimination and is asked to apologize everytime a crazy motherf*cker somewhere in the Middle East blew himself up. That is the reality and it is pretty screwed. Law-abiding citiznes that mind they own businness are being discriminated everyday by some who think that they have the right to do so because Muslims believe in Islam. What???

Now, you mentioned my comparison of the wakko shooters has nothing to do with this. I will remind you that they admired some obscure figure, usually serial killers or other shooters if not violent fictional characters. The same with extremists, they follow some obscure figures which seem to “present” a solution to their problems: an ever changing world, a low self esteem as a country because you have been economically and politically controled from the outside since godknowswhen. When this happens people tend to go to extremes and whatever ideology was hanging in the air it will be excercized in what they think it is a more “pure” manner. But that only says something about that group of people and I do not mean all Moslims. I am not saying this to apologize for their violent acts but just to understand them in the way we should react. I do not think we should overreact and lock up or shoot all the members of certain belief.

The Qur’an was written lots of years ago and like all holy books it has a political flavour. The translation I used is:
    Make ready for them all thou canst of (armed) force and of horses tethered, that thereby ye may dismay the enemy of Allah and your enemy, and others beside them whom ye know not. Allah knoweth them. Whatsoever ye spend in the way of Allah it will be repaid to you in full, and ye will not be wronged.
    My starting point was the Dutch historical translation made by a full time professor who has looked not just into the text but into the history and the social context. In Dutch the original should be ‘vrees aanjagen’(to instil fear) but Wilders used ‘terroriseren’ (to terrorize). The difference is very basic (for me): (think of 700 AD )I don’t want you to come and conquer me I will instil fear upon you, so that you know that I am not an easy prey. In the other hand terrorizing means just creating panic at random targets. Well that is the current meaning and I will not believe any of you uses a meaning from say 200 years ago. We live in a society and we all use current meanings.
    So:
    instil fear = I show you I can and will defend myself and my own land.
    terrorize = create chaos and fear of dying at any moment (for example in the supermarket), panic. This is a very prolific tool for power hungry men which want to control as many people as possible with little arguments.

I repeat, the deeds of some lunatics do not reflect the way millions of people think. If ALL Moslims were ready to blew up themselves next to you (which is what fp and most of you fear, it seems) then they could have done so much more than what they have done now. Lets look at what has happened objectively. All are awful acts but:
    - we are in a superpopulated world, more people have died of diseases than of terrorist attacks ever
    - most of the people that have died from terrorist attacks are Arabs. Just compare the numbers of the WTC with Iraq. Both are despicable acts but look at the numbers and not at the “show effect” around it.
    - there are not enough resources for us all, so there are some frictions in as which who controls which resources
    - there have been lots of geopolitical mistakes done in the past (what was that of supporting Saddam Hussein and Bin Laden because he was against your enemies at that time so therefore they could “help” your economic and political interests?)
    - most important of all we are humans, greed and lust of power have always played an important role in mankind’s history

I try to see the whole picture and not just one element. The argument of Islam being this evil doctrine that is trying to finish me (30 year old woman, married, with a normal job and a small appartment) and my freedoms is very basic and B&W for my experience. Things are never that simple. If the guy left you it is not because he was a bastard and you were the best woman ever. Everything is very complicated and at the end of the day emotions and basic instincts play a greater role than any paper or law.

A final note for fp: if Europe was finished then the dollar would be stronger but it isn’t. Maybe you are all in fear because you see your economicall system trembling and you are panicking? Europe has a good social system, good education, healthier finances, etc. Most people here believe that Democracy is so good that once you have tasted it you will want to have it forverer. There is no need to try to force it into somebody, at the end they will join. I guess you could say it is the complete opposite of this religious groups that try to convert you specially when you are in need. Preaching by example is the only way to really bring change, I believe. Of course we still have laws and if you break them you will be prosecuted. I am just mentioning this because it seems that some people think I am a hippie-tree-hugger that thinks everybody is good by nature. No we aren’t, we are terrible but that has nothing to do with religion. I also don’t love everybody, I pretty much dislike 90% of the population of every country but that is no base for me to be mean to them.

Finally, if you can show me with numbers that Moslims have made the less of inventions (thus of a lesser advantage to the human race as a whole), that are the most criminal, that have conceived the worst genocides in crime, then I would consider my views.

Oh, and about The Netherlands living in the front line, I don’t know what you are talking about. There has never been a terrorist attack here in NL. Well there was one in the 70s with the Molukkers but that was a small incident which I won’t explain here because this is getting too long. Pim Fortuyn was killed by a (white) Vegetarian extremist. Theo van Gogh was killed by a Muslim extremist. Both killers are unstable people that cannot deal properly with reality, they belong to a very small percentage that every population has always had and the fact that one was white and eat veggies and the other was brown and wore a long white tunic are irrelevant to the facts: the y commited a crime and they are paying for it. The fact that van Gogh’s killer was also a Muslim does not make this a terrorist act. It was a well planned murder at a specific target, not at random groups of the populations, like in Madrid or London.

11. FITNA (II): la Unión Europea, la ONU y la OIC cond

Como ya escribí, Liveleak había permitido el visionado de la película Fitna. Sin embargo, ha tenido que borrarla de sus servidores “ante las amenazas que se han dirigido contra sus trabajadores”.

12. fp says:

i knew it would be useless to respond to andrea. that’s why I did not.

theo van ghogh was “unstable”, but the bloodthirsty loonatics who kill people because they draw cartoons or make films which describe those killings are not.
    one wonders how much stupidity is required for such blindness.

fp

13. [...] posted on Wilders, and remarked that, with a few minor changes, his film could be a recruiting film for global Jihad. [...]