Is the Neda Soltan Video a Fake? Gary Trieste thinks it’s 85% probable

While searching for a picture of Neda Agha-Soltan for my next post, I ran across this. I didn’t have time to check out Gary Trieste, or even to examine the evidence. But just reading it through once I had a sense of how it must be for pro-Palestinians to read our arguments. I just don’t want to believe this is a fake, so I am ill-inclined to consider the arguments. I submit it to the readers of this blog to respond to. I have no position yet, although just reading it has been a salutary emotional experience. All comments welcome.

Was the Neda Agha-Soltan video a Hoax?
A few humble observations, and a few impertinent questions.
by Gary Trieste
(libertarian)
Wednesday, June 24, 2009

It was the shocking video that flashed around the world by the Internet. An at-the-scene moment, taken during the recent Iran election protest demonstrations.

The Neda Agha-Soltan video, shows a young woman in the street, having been struck down by a government sniper’s bullet.

The video shows her stunned, and collapsing backward to the ground while being let down gently by a man.

The woman peers sideways at the camera coming towards her, with an perturbing visage of resignation on her face, probably due to massive shock.
A closeup of her face suddenly reveals rivulets of blood streaming down the side of her mouth and then from her nose, while a doctor attempts to revive her.

In the background we can hear her friends trying encourage and console her. Heart rending sounds of anguish and cries come shortly thereafter when it is apparent she had succumbed to her injuries.

Shocking. An indictment of the callous and brute force of the Iranian militia. A tragic and senseless death that shows perfectly how wrong this conflict is.

And yet, as one gets over the visceral impact of it, past the gut wrenching tragedy, and one begins to reflect . . . does it not have, perhaps, a bit of a “too-perfect-to-be-true” feel to it?

Much like the infamous Stephen Glass articles written for the New Republic, edgy, highly topical, and on point to cutting edge social events, his articles were just too good not to be true, they went down as smoothly as KoolWhip and Flan.

I would have thought al Durah was a more appropriate comparison, no?

But too good they were, and 90% of what he wrote about as an eye-witness reporter, he simply made up.

Before I continue, I should say that I totally support, and am in awe of, the brave Iranian citizens who defied the threat of lethal force from their Supreme Leader, and who continued to protest for their civil rights against the fraudulent election results that their corrupt regime declared by divine edict.

But in this case, the video, the backstory – are just too good not to be true. And thus perhaps, just too good to be true.

Taken with a skeptical eye, the analytical acumen of a Monk, or a Patrick Jane, a point-by-point analysis of this video (and another of the same event), what we actually see, suggests things may not be what they are purported to be.

And then we might just suspend belief in the easy, consumable story we are being served up by the story’s proponents, participants, and the incritical media at large.

As a disclaimer, I might be completely off base and the story may totally be what it appears to be. If so, I apologize to any who may be offended, however . . . .

As I see it, there truly are a series of misconnects, non-sequitors, inconsistencies, and not-quite-right factoids surrounding the videos and backstory accompanying them.

To start off, there is what appears to be two different Nedas (photos of two different women supposedly her), and (currently) a question of any independent source identifying Neda as a real person.

And then, why would they pick out a non-protesting woman, 1km from where the protests were occuring, just stepping out of a car for a few minutes. And, how did anyone even know it was a Basiji, since it was claimed to be from a unseen sniper on an adjacent building.

Moving now to the video . . .

Then, most curious . . .

Shortly into the video, we see blood coming from her mouth. She is not sputtering it out, or coughing it up, as in an inability to breathe. Rather it appears rapidly and self flowing, and runs down both sides of her mouth, almost exclusively. Her center teeth aren’t even stained.

Shortly thereafter blood appears to pour out her right nostril . . . Looking carefully in the video, it appears that both the mouth and nostril bleed occurs right after a hand is seen pushing up onto or into them.

Conveniently, an anonymous doctor was on hand to provide the CPR, and to try to save her life, provide credible medical testimony, then disappear from the scene.

Now I am nitpicking, but this video was supposedly shot with a cellphone videocam. It really seems a bit too high quality for that, more like a DV camcorder.

And then, there is the almost too perfect backstory of Neda, preceding the shooting and in preparation to go to the protests – her supposed repeated prescient commentary about any danger there, was a flippant “Don’t worry. It’s just one bullet and it’s over”, and that “Neda had said that even if she lost her life and got a bullet in her heart, she would carry on”.

Of course, we find out that she was not really political and had no intention of active protesting, only that she was passionate about the honesty of the election process, and wanted to be there to see. Her fiancee said she “studied philosophy, music and tourism, was not political”, i.e. principled, but thoroughly inoffensive.

Then on followup, there is the extreme rapid nature of her burial; no wake, or prefuneral proceedings, no Imam attending, or even pictures/video of that proceeding?

We now hear unsubstantiated reports that the Iranian government has banned any memorials or gatherings in her name, which conveniently explains why there is a dearth of public involvement in her very public death.

I don’t want to bust anyone’s bubble, but there seems to be too many “just right” elements to this story.

The Iranian government crackdown on foreign media reporting to the rest of the world, and curtailment of phone services and internet access, provides a ripe environment for just this kind of staged tragedy. All news coming from Iran is from amateur on-the-street participants.

The mass media, starving for news, and implicitly antipathetic toward the Iranian regime for their actions, snatched up this story and ran with it. It was just too good not to be true.

My oddsmaker assessment, 15% likely true, 85% likely hoax or staged.

I honestly hope the latter; this video made me cry.

Strange final remark.

128 Responses to Is the Neda Soltan Video a Fake? Gary Trieste thinks it’s 85% probable

1. Lianne says:

More info on the ‘anonymous’ doctor.

I suppose even if the British media confirm his identity, it doesn’t necessarily eliminate the conspiracy allegation.

2. Solomon says:

Even the most boring lives involve a thousand incidents and interactions, providing plenty of material, in retrospect, for interesting connections to be discovered. In a normal day they’re forgotten, in the case of a tragedy they may be discovered and strung together. That’s where coincidences come from. It doesn’t mean there’s a conspiracy, it just means life is complex and non-linear.

I’m not a doctor, but unlike the Al Dura hoax, I was struck by the closeup nature of the videos (I believe there have been more than one). The blood that ended up pouring out of that poor girl’s nose and mouth was just what an amateur like myself would expect from a bullet doing massive internal chest damage. Those weren’t squibs on timers. At least I see no such evidence.

I see no evidence — either physical or logical — for any sort of staging. Even the early confusions about her age and picture are consistent with a spontaneous event. It is impossible to prove a negative, but the author provides no actual evidence.

3. Stuart Green says:

My gut tells me 70% likely true, 30% likelihood of a faking. I certainly respect the attempt at objectivity, but I did not see the same evidence that Trieste did.

-The video quality, for instance, which is neither evidence for nor against, is not high. I found it quite grainy and difficult to see the detail.
    -I did not see any slight of hand activity, but then again, slight of hand is hard to see by definition.
    -It may be true that we cannot positively finger the Basij and that it was simply assumed they shot her, but the precise identity of the unseen shooter is not an important factor. Unless, of course, it was one of the protestors themselves, but I don’t think we’re there yet.
    -I couldn’t see her center teeth to determine whether they were stained or not, but it is entirely plausible that blood would run out of the corners of her mouth without quite reaching them, particularly if she is on her back.
    -Regarding the significant blood pool and coughing/sputtering, or lack thereof: is it possible that most of the bleeding was internal, as the blood coming out of her mouth would indicate, and/or that much of the blood ran down her back and onto the blanket, in places not seen by the camera? Is it possible that she died so quickly that she did not have time to bleed out and make a large puddle? Could the injury have killed her by preventing her from breathing or getting enough circulation to the brain, rather than by causing massive external blood loss? I don’t know, obviously, I’m no doctor.
    -Regarding the mix-ups with her identity and her more than perfect back-story, those things could easily be screwed up as the narrative snowballs after the fact. Misinformation, mixups and lies are by no means sure to come from the original hoaxters, and could very well be the product of wishful thinking by teary-eyed internet meme-forwarders.

4. Fat Man says:

The people who have an interest in debunking the Neda story, have not yet tried this approach. I know that the Israeli government has often been tongue tied in reaction to false claims by its critics, but I simply do not believe that the Iranian regime needs, or, more importantly, deserves, my indulgence in this matter.

They have acted as if they have things to cover up, and Neda may be one of them. I will worry about the truth of the matter when, and, if, it becomes possible for disinterested parties to freely inquire about it, as Prof. Landes was able to inquire about al’Durah. Until then, this is a propaganda item in a propaganda war. It is provided by the side I am rooting for, and it suffices as such.

5. sshender says:

Well, the mighty US government placed a wrong picture of one of the 19 suspected hijackers which conspiracy theorists picked as evidence that he’s still alive. And the BBC reported that WTC 7 collapsed BEFORE it actually collapsed. Of course all of these inconsistencies could point to a cover up, but I think that misinformation amid chaos and confusion is a more plausible explanation. Let alone when we’re dealing with a totalitarian theocracy that does not provide for uninterrupted flow of information. In Iran, one can’t just challenge the party line and either succeed or get away with it.

Then, Neda was said to have been shot by a member of the Basij, an officially sanctioned vigilante organization. And yet, as they are not police or military, most Basiji are not permitted to carry firearms except for special requirements and when not in actual combat?</em?

1. How does the author know whether the Basiji carry weapons or not.
    2. He then admits that only MOST of them are unarmed, which even if we accept point 1 still leaves SOME who apparently are.
    3. And even if it is true that the Basiji are for the most part unarmed, that could be true of peaceful times. Since the demonstrations in Iran are a first since the 79 revolution, and the Islamist clique seems pretty upset about the whole affair with even hints of fear, wouldn’t it be reasonable to suggest that they were issued temporary weapons, just in case things do get out of their control?

Why? Because shit happens, that’s why. When you have brain washed people with little or no regard for human life, armed and told to use any force necessary to stamp down the demonstrations, it is almost inevitable that some might get hurt unintentionally. This reminds me of the film about the Bradford Riots where a man who went to retrieve his brother from the riots was struck by a horse mounted police man and seriously injured.

And we don’t know for sure that it was the Basiji who shot her, but does it really matter? It might have been the police or any other armed authority of the regime for all I care, and it does not change the fact that she was killed by the people sent by the regime to suppress the demonstrators.

This is wild speculations of a layman. It is only the experts who are used to treating gun shot wounds who can testify whether anything strikes them odd.

Again, wild speculation of a non professional.

This is the worst “evidence” so far. As someone who’s into gadgets a lot, I can attests that the quality is not superior to what one might find in recent high quality cellphones.

The rest is just too muddy to decide either way. I think the inconsistencies or lack of info. about her life, involvement and funeral will eventually come to light and would be shown as nothing more than premature confusion and obfuscation on the part of the Iranian regime.

I’d love to hear his thoughts on 9/11….

Taking the video footage generally available I don’t see any reason to think that this particular incident was faked. As it is apparently more people have been shot including a woman.

Crackdown in Baharestan Square

Quite unlike the Al Dura affair.

Anyway who is Gary Trieste? What has he detected that indicates fake? Where are the rushes?

7. sshender says:

And he seems to be a Ron Paul supporter… Coincidence or not but there appears to be a strong correlation between supporting Ron Paul and conspiratorial mindset with a little antisemitism. It’s been a while since I’d encountered it, but I clearly remember that such a thing existed.

8. Observer says:

There is plenty of youtube footage of basiji using guns, the first incident I recall was of a man firing an assault rifle on the roof of a basiji compound surrounded by protesters. That was Friday.

Even cheap cell phones today take good quality stills. I use mine for regular snapshots that regularly come out very sharp and clear.

There is little reason to think this was faked.

I did wonder whether it was a credible piece of evidence. Didn’t bother to read much background hindsight stories or look at pictures of Neda. Took much of this and the other stories/pictures/films as “image war” (Cogwar) means. In short, a priori deserving only some credence.

I honestly hope the latter; this video made me cry.

(RL) Strange final remark.

Why strange? The video is heartbreaking. Now, if it’s a hoax or staged then either the poor girl is not dead or it’s an accident that’s not as dramatic as we’re induced to believe and deeply feel.

Sorry, Cynic, to be even more so.
    But that’s 21st century “reality”.

10. Gary Trieste says:

For the record, I am not an anti-semite, and in fact I am jewish myself, mostly pro-israel (cept when they get too heavy handed).

I don’t believe in the 9/11 conspiracies, it was most likely achieved by very motivated jihadists and lax, complacent security.

And, E.G. got it right, I would rather this be a hoax than a beautiful woman minding her own business being shot dead in the street by vigilante thugs.

I like to consider myself a non-extremist, but rather a realist, wherever that may lead . . .

11. Barry Meislin says:

Given that the Iranian regime is about as anti-Zionist as one can get, that its leaders deny the so-called Holocaust, and have threatened to put an end to the Zionist Entity, there is absolutely every reason to give this regime the benefit of the doubt.

The so-called demonstrators in favor of so-called democracy (or of so-called ending so-called corruption and/or so-called election fraud) are merely, whether consciously or not, Zionist tools and endanger the Praiseworthy and Glorious Hopes enshrined in Iran’s eschatological nuclear project.

If they cannot be otherwise persuaded that the Mullahcracy is the world’s best hope (if not Iran’s), then they must be beaten down and destroyed (like the party poopers they are).

Progressives and humanists world-wide must do their utmost to make this point absolutely crystal clear.

12. Barry Meislin says:

(That goes, as well, for paleo-progressives and paleo-humanists.)

13. More about Iranian Media Manipulation:

14. Magnus Soevgaard says:

For all you idiots that think it was staged here is the official Iranian govt response. Boy do you look stupid. Iran blamed the death of the woman known to the world simply as Neda squarely on “those groups who want to create division in the nation,” saying they planned the woman’s killing “to accuse the Islamic republic of ruthlessly dealing with the opposition,” according to IRNA, Iran’s state-run news agency.

15. JD says:

Possibly, but here are problems:

Has any MD said it looked fake?

For the blood from the nose—

“”Conveniently, an anonymous doctor was on hand to provide the CPR””

There’s your cause right there. CPR? Not a trauma surgeon this guy.

“For the massive injury she supposedly sustained, a direct bullet shot to the center of her chest, I have to wonder, where is all the blood that would be coming from her torso or her back onto the ground, it should have been everywhere, including the spot where they are trying to give her CPR, all over their hands and her clothing, and a huge pool on the ground. Yet the only pool of blood appears to be at her feet before she falls down.”

No exit wound proves she either hit with a small caliber hand gun or… military assault rifle. small entry wound and bullet shape to flutter around inside to cause maximum damage.

16. JD says:

“It’s difficult to think of a wound that bleeds more from a rifle shot than being shot through the lungs.”

Let’s be clear – not a rifle (unless .22) but an assault rifle cartridge

A sniper or usual hunting rifle would do a through and through.

17. JD says:

Out of curiosity I searched for Iranian weapons and found yes, their standard cartridge is the 5.56 NATO, not the 7.62.

Indeed, the entry wound would be small in appearance.

I would also point out the new name designate since 2002 for their rifle is the “Khybar”

“Basis of name

Khaybar is an oasis approximately 95 miles east of Medina, which was once the largest Jewish settlement in Arabia the name was chosen as a reminder of the Battle of Khaybar.”

18. Observer says:

JD, agreed. I was imprecise. We’ve seen such rifles in other youtube footage.

A.L., you are too eager to tie this to Al Durah. I suggest not pushing this meme until we’re past current events and more actual evidence rather than speculation is available. Between this and the Lost pictures you risk damage to your credibility.

Let actual facts do the heavy lifting just as they’ve done with Al Durah.

19. JD says:

Observer, I think Landes’ “tie” to Al Durah hear was less “factual”, more contextual – Neda is a video phenomenon, as was Al Durah matter. The Glass matter, which the writer uses as comparison, is not a video phenomenon–although IIRC the Glass story was made into a movie.

20. kuor'avi says:

No disrespect to any here. But come now, to your senses.
    In no way is this a fake!
    This girl died from point a blank shot, she was singled out and shot dead.
    I came across videos, two with messages attached to them explaining how they were delivered and put on youtube. In the early hours after this happened.
    And now these videos and with what was included are now gone.
    As with other things regarding this young girl’s death, are now being restricted to the outside world here we the people.
    Are we going to discect her death? And anal eyes this?
    Already, there are idiots, as the one who took her life, that are making money from her death.
    Her family is now homeless because of the attention they have received from their child.
    She is our daughter, could be our wife, could be our finace’, our girlfriend and the list goes on.
    Why, on top of everything else, now we have to say this is a fake?
    Come on, pull yourselves together.
    It’s a probability and those usually are calculated in math, only!
    There is no way, with what is happening in that country of turmoil, that this is a fake.
    No one, dies exactly or professionally or medically or however you want to exact it, no one dies like say we see on movies or television or other.
    I am appalled at what i witnessed in private in the early hours this posted.
    I am appalled, and that is not a very good word to describe my pain for this girl.
    There are many who feel, feel…this girl’s pain.
    They made this family bury her quick.
    They made this family bury her somewhere else.
    No respect for her, her family or the way to be buried.
    Just get her out of the way and shut up.
    Now, her family is homeless.
    I think the world as a whole is getting fed up with this killing of people, especially there in Iran.
    This is the way it’s been there, and it’s tiresome.
    This girl wanted her vote to count, and that’s what she was there for.
    Nothing else.
    and it took her life.
    j
    and some of us are still taking pieces of her even in her death.

God love this girl.
    God love this girl.
    God love her with all that he is in love.
    God love this girl.

21. antonio says:

get a grip man !…

In today’s world of Judts and Chomskys, Pappes and Roses it doesn’t cut any ice.
    As for the heavy handed part well if you’re dealing with the tribal/clan culture it is no good, for your own health, saying please and thank you (my own experience at work and not war, for your information) and if you are only used to handling Corgis don’t go trying it out on jackals.
    Anyway provide some context to display the heavy hand.
    The same day the British police shot that Brazilian in the subway the Israelis disarmed an explosive belt wearing Palestinian without killing him.
    In another case remember the young boy caught at a checkpoint with an explosive vest which caused such an outcry because he was disrobed in PUBLIC to get the explosives away from him? They could just as easily have blown him up and declared the suicide.
    So much easier and not so “heavy handed” visually, as that’s what the public had come to expect.
    So why go to all the trouble of keeping the kid alive and removing the danger?????

Steady on there. Don’t want to go aligning yourself with Baker & co. :-)

Until one can come up with facts that point to a position one cannot assume anything, positive or negative.

E.G.,

I had honestly hoped that Romeo would wise up to the hoax. Sadly it was not written that way.

“”Conveniently, an anonymous doctor was on hand to provide the CPR””

Unimaginable Horror In Tehran Today

hundreds of the regime’s Basij thugs poured out of an adjoining mosque and commenced a massacre with axes, clubs, guns and gas.

Crackdown in Baharestan Square

In my comment above #24 I missed out on this link to the anonymous doctor from Paulo Coelho’s blog:

(Late Sunday I watch Neda’s video. I suspect that I recognize Arash Hejazi, but I prefer not to believe in what I am seeing. I send him and email)

Read the back and forth between Paulo and Arash.

26. Jonathan Levy says:

I’ve looked at the video several times, and it seems to me this Gary Trieste guy is way off. Here’s my two cents.

He says:

“Shortly into the video, we see blood coming from her mouth. She is not sputtering it out, or coughing it up, as in an inability to breathe. Rather it appears rapidly and self flowing, and runs down both sides of her mouth, almost exclusively.

These flow patterns appear more to be from a blood bladder timed for rupture when the camera was in the correct position. And the nose bleed appears only after what appears to be a rapid slight-of-hand insertion of blood into her nose.”

There are a quite a few inaccuracies in this description, but let’s suppose he’s 100% right. She has a bladder in her mouth pooling blood. Another one in her nose which is also leaking. All of these are flowing smoothly, with no sputtering.

How, then, is the girl breathing? Her mouth and nose are full of fake blood undisturbed by airflow. Is she holding her breath throughout the whole video? That’s quite a stunt. She doesn’t seem to blink either, and near the end there’s blood pooling in her left eye.

(Also, the people around her are not performing CPR. They are trying to contain the bleeding by putting pressure on the wound. )

There’s only one thing suspicious about the video that I noticed. It starts a second after she is hit (still standing), and the camera is already pointing at her.
    You wouldn’t expect the camera to be pointing at her by chance, and you would expect after a gunshot that the camera would turn towards the sound of the firing, not towards the target.

However, this can be easily explained: The first few seconds when the camera was wildly turning to point at the action were cut away when posting the video to youtube. If those sections would be published, it would dispel this one small suspicion.

I say it’s real. You’ll need the testimony of a combat medic or a surgeon to change my mind.

27. Miquel Bonnito says:

Note the location of the apparent bullet entrance. Is that not about where a person’ spine is located? A bullet entering that area of the body would likely sever the spine on it’s way, paralizing body functions below that point. Yet, at about 11 seconds into the video, she is seen assisting herself to the ground with her left hand. Small caliber bullet bouncing around inside the body, large caliber bullet passing through, shot from a motorcyle or a block away – the Neda video does not make sense.

28. Lianne says:

BBC interview with Dr. Arash Hejazi

The ‘explosion’ within her chest cavity sure sounds like a .223 doing it business (the only way it’s effective) but most pictures I see of Iranian personel show various .30 caliber weapons – G3, AKM variants. As well as their copy of the Uzi of all things.

No exit wound, which might explain the lack of blood on the ground.

29. DreamLiner says:

OK – so we have someone with:

no military/weaponry training raising doubts about the weapon and wound
    no medical training raising doubts about the wound, CPR, blood flow, eye movement etc.
    no knowledge of available communication devices and their capabilities
    no direct knowledge of locale or anything related by anyone on scene

raising doubts about the video.
    Generally, to raise doubt about a fact should take something more than “I think” and he has presented his uninformed opinion but nothing more than that.
    The only thing he makes clear is that he’s no expert in any of the areas about which he’s expressing doubts. So, why is it worth it paying any attention?

BTW – Rich, unless evidence is presented more like a reverse al-Dura case.

30. Victor Ostrosky says:

It is very fake! The girl is an Israeli actress (prolly named Liv) hired by the Mossad to help discredit Iran even more than usual. The rioters already said that they were being manipulated by “the media” (READ: Israel and/or CIA?) to riot. Yes Iran is a totalitarian regime but this stuff is just the “wilderness of mirrors” that “they” are experts at performing. Notice how NO ONE is pointing toward the sniper as is the practice of every innocent bystander who hears a rifle report and looks and usually points in that direction. They did the same thing with Bhutto assassination in Pakistan. The blood spatter and spew was not right. The exit wound in her back would have produced more blood than the front. CPR would make the blood come out even faster. Also when hit by a round you don’t need anyone to help you down to the ground you are pushed back & down by it. Her eye action seemed really unusual for someone who is dead or dying. I believe she is alive and well in a Tel-Aviv coffee shop thinking this was her best thespian performance. The critics are giving her 3 thumbs down. You bleeding-hearts are so easy to fool. Or you are just propagandist shills sent in to spread doubt on any dissenters well thought out opinions. We are being conned folks, by the Likud Party.

31. Marissa says:

Here’s another person killed on camera. Is that staged too?

You apologists for Iranian governmental thugs astound me. I wonder how you are even able to exist in day to day life. Are you on governmental support? How can you work for being so retarded?

On a second level, one thing I’ve noticed is how a number of posters on various sites calling the video a fake sound so similiar. They have different names but a number of them are raising the same point but with exactly similar phrasing and in some cases language. It reminds me of when the GOP was trying to create the illusion of a grassroots “nobama” movement amongst Hillary supporters, particularly women.

32. nullnor says:

i thought this too but i don’t think so. it’s real. the doctor and ppl just got their hands on her and applied pressure quickly. i figure, you live in Iran or Iraq etc.. you’ve probably got a little experience in treating wounds. you plug up the bullet hole and the bloods got to go somewhere. in her lungs and out her mouth and nose. it also went in her eye, and i don’t think she’s blinking.

supposedly there’s a video interview with the doctor. says they caught the guy that shot her. the shooter says he was just trying to scare the crowd and hit her my mistake.

33. [...] prendendo visione di un video che qualcuno-ma questa è un’altra storia, tenta di dimostrare essere un fake. Più di qualcuno, anzi. No, le vere foto di Neda Salehi Agha Soltan sono presumibilmente quelle [...]

34. Monica Notya says:

Maybe the VIDEO is not a fake but the EVENT was, in
    the sense of being the on-the-spot realization of a
    pre-planned job (as in, “OK, those two, go for her”).

There are a whole bunch of people milling about in the
    video but the camera pretty well FOLLOWS the guy in the
    EASILY IDENTIFIABLE blue striped shirt from WELL BEFORE the gun shot.

Maybe the person shooting with the cellphone was taking
    direction from a “director” who was also directing the
    person shooting the gun? And that pretty young woman,
    walking with the man in the immediately identifiable
    shirt, was the lucky one chosen on the spur of the
    moment – perhaps even BECAUSE of the shirt’s easy
    identifiability in an otherwise chaotic scene – to
    be the instant starlet of a video that was planned
    in outline and intent before she’d even left home?

If so, would the people involved in the major
    geo-political and geo-financial shenanigans going on
    all over the Middle East fall back in horror at the
    mere suggestion of engineering such an event to
    manipulate public opinion? What do you think?

And if so, who would stand to win sympathy from it?
    Mr Short Bearded and the Grand Assembly of Ayatollah
    Poo-Bahs? Or some other party with a Grand Strategy?

35. obsy says:

The background story does not sound likely. It is probably spiced up by some oriental creativity.
    If your friend would have been killed by an suppressive regime and 100% truthfulness wouldn’t be a cultural value, would you want to let the world know the truth or would you like to get back at that regime that killed your friend?

Gary is right here.

If the video is fake, than I don’t want to give the mullahs any hints by analyzing it for them. Iran is not Israel. Showing your face on camera for that video would be really dangerous.

And finally, I am sure that Richard Landes is not the only one who can understand the pro-pals somewhat better now. Though the most emotional language here comes from people whose nicks I have never seen before.

36. obsy says:

By that I mean, not helping the Iranian regime to find “Neda”.

37. draftman says:

Ok, this video is faked. In the first video, the cameraman was obviously trying to keep Neda and her father in the field of view while panning the crowd. Neda looks back at the camera man several times.

This video was staged.

You may wonder, but this is related to all here:

When did the lowbrows take over the culture?
    By James Lewis

and it looks like i am hardly the only one who recognizes the root of western decline.

39. amyisroelchai says:

Speaking of Al-Dura…on MSNBC, al-Dura was just brought up on the Olbermann show due to the death of Neda:

40. bobo says:

you can almost see the blood from her nose comes from her squirting it from her hand as the blood from her mouth comes out. maybe not though.

41. Johnny Asia says:

Arash Hejazi, the Dr. in the Neda video, in 2005:

“I am concerned about my family. The presidential election is near. They are doing everything to keep things under control,” he said.

Friday 13,2005 , 14:08 GMT 15:08 UK

Iran ‘bans author Coelho’s novel’

Coelho said he had a government permit to publish the book

The latest novel by Brazilian author Paulo Coelho has been banned in Iran, its publisher in the country has said.

Iranian authorities confiscated 1,000 copies of The Zahir at the Tehran Book Fair on Monday but did not give a reason, according to publisher Caravan.

The Zahir, published in Iran last month, tells the story of an author
    who tries to track down his missing war correspondent wife.

Coelho has sold an estimated 65 million books around the world.

His previous novels include The Alchemist and Eleven Minutes, and The Zahir will be published in 83 countries.

Caravan’s Arash Hejazi said he was now worried about his safety.
    ————————–

Shaping a country: list of Iranian authors
    June 17, 2009 – (5 days before the Neda video appeared)

Arash Hejazi originally studied to be a medical doctor in Tehran. His thesis in medical school was about “the influences of storytelling on children’s anxiety disorders.” …….. A staunch advocate of free
    speech in Iran, Hejazi is openly against the Iranian government’s censorship of books.

Brazilian author Paulo Coelho says his latest book banned in Iran
    Thursday, 12 May 2005

AFP

PARIS – International best-selling Brazilian author Paulo Coelho said Thursday that his latest novel “The Zahir” had been banned in Iran, with some 1,000 copies confiscated this week at Tehran’s annual book fair.

“The book was forbidden, even though we went through the normal procedures of getting a permit from the government for it to be published,” Coelho said in an e-mail message sent to AFP by his French publishers Flammarion.

“Now, my Iranian publisher, Arash Hejazi, is expressing serious concerns about his safety,” said Coelho, best known for “The Alchemist”.

42. Johnny Asia says:

I posted the above articles about Arash Hejazi and Paul Coelho’s novel on Coelho’s blog:

My comment appeared on the page, as you can see in this screenshot:

But, it was removed within minutes. I knew it would be, so I took the precaution of taking a screenshot.

43. Johnny Asia says:

Curious, my comment reappeared on the page after I posted another comment asking why my previous comment was removed.

I found this link on Coelho’s page:

Rough translation:

“Paulo Coelho, his famous friend, wants that the world believes in the drama of Neda, which became also the drama of his friend Arash.”

44. Marc says:

Are’nt you too shoked by the image of a young woman death to re-think whatever it’s fake or not?? And yes, a lot of informations regarding the 9/11 tragedy are totally a non-sense. So it is with the video of Neda: the hand (herself) putting blood in the face is only one of them. Just don’t accept everything you see on TV! It would not be the first time the media is been manipulated…

45. harris says:

look for official iranian statements

quoted here for example:

An ambassador is not talking about her death as a fact and autopsies if there was no corpse. THEY are in charge of the hospitals unlike the Israelis in Gaza. So go find the video footage to that interview!

46. harris says:

The presient himself:

“President urges Judiciary chief to inquire into Neda’s murder

President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad on Monday requested the Judiciary chief to hold inquiry into Neda Agha-Sultan’s murder on street which happened away from demonstrations in “a suspicious way”.
    In a letter to Judiciary chief Ayatollah Mahmoud Hashemi Shahroudi, the president called for identification of those involved in Neda’s murder.

The 26-year-old Neda was shot dead on June 20 on street of Tehran. News of her death has provoked both national and international sentiments…”

47. Johnny Asia says:

Ahmadinejad on Monday called for a probe into the death of Neda Agah-Soltan

Maybe we’ll find out soon whether or not there actually was a woman named Neda who was killed,
    surely there are hospital records, death certificate,
    a family, friends.

Or, maybe the myth of Neda is so widely believed by now that all Iran can do is change the narrative.

Of course, a probe in a popular democracy is the most trustworthy means to find out the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the official truth.

49. Johnny Asia says:

here’s the video in quicktime format

Select “Window”, “show A/V controls”, select playback speed – 1/2 speed, view in full screen

Watch her left hand carefully, see how it moves around,
    she appears to be holding something in her hand, she moves it close to her face immediately before the blood appears.

AFP
    ………….

In his blog post Coelho says that Arashi is a doctor; so does the BBC apparently. Funny now the link gives a 404 error but Google cashed it :-)

The Doctor

So where does AFP get that Arashi is Coelho’s publisher?

51. Johnny Asia says:

Arash Hejazi, the Dr. in the Neda video, in 2005:

Friday 13,2005 , 14:08 GMT 15:08 UK

Iran ‘bans author Coelho’s novel’

Coelho said he had a government permit to publish the book

Cynic,

Lost in translation… and found in politically correction.

E.G.,

Your link in #52 is not found according to Blogger so did Google google it way as they do when something is not PC?

Page not found
    Sorry, the page you were looking for in the blog For the Sake of Zion does not exist.

What was the post about?

E.G.,

What a boring film that was. Actually at the time I passed a scatological remark, (not suitable for this blog).

Cynic,

Emmanuel Navon’s blog. (my #52 link)

Whenever the AFP is concerned, some not-very-boring operations need to be considered. Recall that it has a cooperation accord with IRNA.

E.G.,

Thanks.

57. Johnny Asia says:

Look at these frames from the video, looks like Neda’s left hand moving to-and-from her nose
    when the blood first appears.

She’s wearing a Christian cross pendant:

58. Johnny Asia says:

Video of interview with Dr Arash Hejazi, “he’s back here in Britain”.

“We heard a gunshot. Neda was standing a metre away from me… I saw blood gushing out of her chest”

The doctor who tried to save an Iranian protester as she bled to death on a street in Tehran has told the BBC of her final moments.

Dr Arash Hejazi, who is studying at a university in the south of England, said he ran to Neda Agha-Soltan’s aid after seeing she had been shot in the chest.

Despite his attempts to stop the bleeding she died in less than a minute, he said.

59. Johnny Asia says:

Neda – Whats Bothering Halbertis, Are The Neda Videos Real..You Decide

The bystander’s clothing is different in the 2 videos
    of Neda’s “death”

Also, a white car appears in one video but not the other.

MUST READ:

Obama creates a deadly power vacuum [MUST READ]
    By Spengler

Must read indeed.

Thanks, oao.

62. Johnny Asia says:

CNN reports NEDA’s killing ( by ‘government militia-men hiding on a rooftop’)

Youtube says:

“This video is not available in your country due to copyright restrictions.”

Luckily, CNN transcripts of those reports are still available:

Iranian Anger Escalates

Aired June 22, 2009 – 15:00 ET

Are you ready now? Let’s roll it. (BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

NASR: Her name is Neda, the facts surrounding her life and her death difficult to verify. She appears to have been a young student who joined thousands of her countrymen to voice her disapproval of Iran’s election results.

Eyewitnesses say Basij militiamen hiding on a building roof top shot Neda in her chest, silencing her forever.

A man who appears to be her father desperately calling on her to open her eyes, a stranger begging her to stay awake. “Don’t be afraid. Don’t be afraid, Neda,” the man says. But Neda doesn’t respond. She dies right there on the streets, another protester capturing her last moments on a cell phone camera.

And just like that, Neda, who came to the square thinking she’s one voice among thousands, turned into the voice of an entire opposition movement. Neda, which means, “the calling,” is now on millions of flips across the globe, on the Internet, in specially- designed avatars, a young life cut down in its prime, one woman’s gripping story speaking volumes, a grim reminder of the price Iranians could pay for freedom.

(END VIDEOTAPE)

CNN LARRY KING LIVE

D.C. Trains Collide; Iranians Remain Defiant

Aired June 22, 2009 – 21:00 ET

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

OCTAVIA NASR, CNN INTERNATIONAL CORRESPONDENT (voice-over): Her name is Neda. The fact surrounding her life and her death difficult to verify. She appears to have been a young student who joined thousands of her countrymen to voice her disapproval of Iran’s election results.

Eyewitnesses say Basji militiamen hiding on a building roof top shot Neda in her chest, silencing her forever.

A man who appears to be her father desperately calling on her to open her eyes.

A stranger begging her to stay awake. “Don’t be afraid. Don’t be afraid, Neda,” the man says.

But Neda doesn’t respond. She dies right there on the street, another protester capturing her last moments on a cell phone camera.

Just like that, Neda who came to the square thinking she is one voice among thousands, turned into the voice of an entire opposition movement.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

63. Johnny Asia says:

The Iranian People Speak

Washington Post

By Ken Ballen and Patrick Doherty
    Monday, June 15, 2009

The election results in Iran may reflect the will of the Iranian people. Many experts are claiming that the margin of victory of incumbent President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was the result of fraud or manipulation, but our nationwide public opinion survey of Iranians
    three weeks before the vote showed Ahmadinejad leading by a more than 2 to 1 margin — greater than his actual apparent margin of victory in Friday’s election.

While Western news reports from Tehran in the days leading up to the voting portrayed an Iranian public enthusiastic about Ahmadinejad’s principal opponent, Mir Hossein Mousavi, our scientific sampling from
    across all 30 of Iran’s provinces showed Ahmadinejad well ahead.

64. Johnny Asia says:

Iran: Who’s Diddling Democracy?

Thursday 18 June 2009

by: Steve Weissman, t r u t h o u t | Perspective

“The National Endowment for Democracy has spent millions of dollars during the past decade promoting ‘color’ revolutions in places such as Ukraine and Serbia, training political workers in modern communications and organizational techniques,” Timmerman wrote on the right-wing newsmax.com.

“Some of that money appears to have made it into the hands of pro-Mousavi groups, who have ties to non-governmental organizations outside Iran that the National Endowment for Democracy funds.”

Please note that this comes from a very involved right-wing critic who personally knows the expatriate Iranian community. It is impossible to know how much government money went to these groups, since Congress has purposely exempted the National Endowment for Democracy from having to make public how it spends taxpayer money. Clearly, Congress should begin to ask some tough questions about funding for Mousavi’s “green revolution” before any more Iranian protesters are killed.

One other clue is worth considering. The State Department somehow knew that the social-networking site Twitter had intended to close down for maintenance earlier this week during what would have been morning in Tehran. So, as The Washington Post put it, the State Department asked Twitter to delay the scheduled maintenance “to avoid disrupting communications among tech-savvy Iranian citizens as they took to the streets to protest Friday’s re-election of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.”

At first glance, those of us deeply involved in the new technology thought this was great, a serious affirmation of our own importance. But, to the ayatollahs, the State Department’s intervention sent a clear signal that the Obama administration was siding with Mousavi’s protesters. Ahmadinejad’s government, militia and police had all the internal communications they needed. Only the protesters stood to benefit.

Even more compelling, the benefit went to a particular group – those among the protesters who speak English and particularly those Iranian-Americans working with the National Endowment for Democracy. According to news reports, Twitter does not accept input in Farsi.

65. Johnny Asia says:

CNN TRANSCRIPT

Aired June 16, 2009 – 15:00 ET

HOLMES: …… So, the question is now, is it possible that Ahmadinejad really did win this thing?

Our next guest is Ken Ballen. He says that is a distinct possibility. He is president of Terror Free Tomorrow, the Center For Public Opinion, a nonprofit group that does some polling. He joins us now from Washington.

Sir, the reason you say it is a possibility is because your organization did one of the last, one of the most extensive and also transparent polls just a couple weeks before the election in Iran.

What did your poll tell you?

KEN BALLEN, TERROR FREE TOMORROW: Well, our poll told us, T.J., that Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, President Ahmadinejad, was ahead by a 2-1 margin over his nearest rival.

66. Naz EZ says:

I read thru the article and here are some responses to the questions that had been asked :
    as per the doctor (who has converted himself into publishing) :
    1- the bullet didn’t go thru her body, he says the bullet exploded in her chest. which brings me to number 2;
    2- the blood runs out of the mouth first, the nostrils because it has to flow out. Probably the CPR didn’t help as it put more pressure and blood flowed out more quickly
    3- for the pictures : myself I thought in the beginning it’s not the same person too. but look closer : at the lips, the eyes and eyebrows. If you’re not convinced, try to calculate, in ratios, distances between 2 eyes, nose/lips, nose/eyebrows, etc. I did it , they match. Moreover we don’t how far apart in time these pictures were taken.
    4- They buried her outside Tehran and buried her quickly since they didn’t want any riots around the burial. The parents were restricted to their homes before being forced out to leave somewhere. Even the family and neighbours were not allowed to talk to them.

our nationwide public opinion survey of Iranians

there was a piece on NYT if I recall correctly which explains the ignorance and stupidity of poll takers of iran. should be ignored.

i do have background in survey research. it is extremely difficult to do serious polling even when you are an expert, but most of the outfits whic do surveys know less than what i forgot in 25-30 years. and those who take polls in foreign countries — forget it.

also, some of these outfits are ideological and have agendas.

68. Johnny Asia says:

Nice try oao, but that’s COMPLETE BULLSHIT!

John McCain is on the advisory board of the organization that took that poll in Iran:

CNN TRANSCRIPT

Aired June 16, 2009 – 15:00 ET

Terror Free Tomorrow: The Center for Public Opinion is a non-partisan, 501(c)(3) not-for-profit established in Washington, D.C.

For our Mission Statement, Vision and key Accomplishments, click here. For our latest activities, click here.

ADVISORY BOARD

Lee H. Hamilton
    Lee Hamilton served as Co-Chair of the National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States—The 9/11 Commission.

Lee Hamilton is currently the Director of the Woodrow Wilson International Center in Washington, DC. Prior to becoming Director of the Wilson Center, Lee Hamilton served for thirty-four years as a Congressman from Indiana. During his tenure, he was both Chairman and Ranking Member of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs and chaired the Subcommittee on Europe and the Middle East. Lee Hamilton also was Chairman of the Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence and the Select Committee to Investigate Covert Arms Transactions with Iran.

John McCain
    John McCain is the senior U.S. Senator from Arizona.

After graduating from the Naval Academy in 1958, John McCain began his career as a Naval aviator. During the Vietnam War, John McCain’s plane was shot down over North Vietnam, where he spent five and a half years as a POW in Hanoi. In 1982, he was elected to Congress from Arizona, and in 1986 he was elected to the United States Senate. Senator McCain is currently the Ranking Member of the Senate Committee on Armed Services. He also serves on the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation and the Senate Committee on Indian Affairs, and formerly served as Chairman.

William H. Frist
    Bill Frist served as the Majority Leader of the U.S. Senate.

After becoming the first practicing physician elected to the Senate since 1928, Senator Frist led the Senate for three terms on issues of global health care and national security, including international terrorism. In addition to now serving on the Advisory Board of Terror Free Tomorrow, Bill Frist co-chairs Bono’s ONE Campaign presidential initiative: ONE Vote ’08. He also serves on the Boards of the Hope through Healing Hands Foundation, Africare and the Center for Strategic and International Studies. Bill Frist is leading a drive by Save the Children to make the preventable deaths of millions of children in the developing world a priority for all Americans.

Charles S. Robb
    Chuck Robb served a United States Senator from Virginia from 1989 to 2001.

While in the Senate he became the only member ever to serve simultaneously on all three national security committees (Intelligence, Armed Services, and Foreign Relations). Before becoming a member of Congress he was Lt. Governor of Virginia from 1978 to 1982, and Governor from 1982 to 1986, when he also chaired the Democratic Governors’ Association.

Thomas H. Kean
    Tom Kean also served as Co-Chair of the 9/11 Commission.

Tom Kean is the former governor of New Jersey and president of Drew University. Governor Kean served for ten years in the New Jersey Assembly, rising to the positions of majority leader, minority leader and speaker before being elected governor.

Nice try oao, but that’s COMPLETE BULLSHIT!

perhaps you care about john mccain, i don’t. what i said is valid regardless of personalities on boards, let alone political ones. does mccain have a clue how a survey is done, let alone in a country like iran? all politicians are mostly ignorant about such matters and his presence makes things more questionable, not less. and when i see lee hamilton, it takes the cake.

if you wanna talk about surveys, show me what you know about the methodology and problematics, don’t throw boards of politicians at me. that’s stupid.

faith in a bunch of politicians guaranteeing the integrity and validity of surveys is laughable.

now THAT’s bullshit.

mr. asia, you would not be a lefty by any chance?

72. Johnny Asia says:

aoa, you said “also, some of these outfits are ideological and have agendas.” Terror Free Tomorrow
    is certainly not leftie, or in favor of Ahmadinejad.

73. Johnny Asia says:

aoa: “mr. asia, you would not be a lefty by any chance?”

Wouldn’t an American lefty support “Neda” and her side?

All the American lefties I know do.

74. Johnny Asia says:

( Iran’s police chief Esmaeil Ahmadi-Moghaddam )

Ahmadi-Moghaddam said the death of Neda Aqa-Soltan, who became a symbol of post-election street rallies in Iran, was a “prearranged scenario,” Press TV reported.

The police chief accused Arash Hejazi, a doctor who says he tried to save Neda’s life in her final moments, of fanning the flames of the western media hype, the TV station said on its website.

Press TV- New Evidence In The Murder Of Neda Agha Soltan

brief comment from Neda’s Music teacher who was with her

( I compared stills of the guy in the Press TV video with the guy who was with Neda in the shooting video and the one taken before the shooting, they look very similar, but to me the nose is different and the hairline is too.)

The music teacher says in the interview, “There was no shooting here, there were no security forces in this street.” “There were around 20-20 people in this street. One shot was heard and that bullet hit Neda”

the Dr said,

Hejazi, 38, told The Times of London he was in his Tehran office at 7 p.m. last Saturday when he heard a commotion on the street and went out to see baton-wielding riot police charging toward a vast crowd of protesters.

———————-

The music teacher can be seen on this page:

Hamid Panahi
    September 29, 2006

The owner of that web page is mehdi soltani

Wouldn’t an American lefty support “Neda” and her side? All the American lefties I know do.

methinks you live on a different planet.

pls note that i intentionally stayed out of the neda issue, because i don’t deal in speculations for which i can’t have evidence.

i only commented on a subject i am versed in and which has little to do with neda.

is certainly not leftie, or in favor of Ahmadinejad.

do you really think that because some conservative politicians are on the board (precisely to provide veneer) that makes a survey outfit devoid of agenda? did the politicians hire the surveyers, you think?

anyway, i never said that this particulr outfit had an agenda, i said that one should consider the fact that most surveys have an agenda — it’s embedded in their methodology, whether they’re conscious of it or not. they ask to get the answers they want. and cultural gaps tend to make foreign surveys, part. those in dictatorships, let alone islamist ones a mockery. the NYT article explained this for iran.

hamilton, btw, is a leftie. and frist is a first order ass.

76. Johnny Asia says:

aoa: “mr. asia, you would not be a lefty by any chance?”

Actually, I’m to the left of the antichrist. I agree with
    the politics of the Iranian artists behind the fake Neda
    death video. I don’t agree with them allowing themselves to be used to drum up American support for “regime change” or war. Many of us here in the US believe that Bush stole 2 elections, and many Republicans believe ACORN stole the election for Obama. How the hell do we feel that we’re the guardians of Iran’s elections?

I agree with the politics of the Iranian artists behind the fake Neda death video. I don’t agree with them allowing themselves to be used to drum up American support for “regime change” or war.

if neda’s death is a fake, what use other than foreign support would it have as a motive? to cause a’jad’s regret and resign??

either the fake is a lie which is immoral, in which case its effectiveness does not count; or it is so effective that it becomes moral (brings down the regime, goal excuses means). but your position seems to be it’s moral, but should not be used effectively, which makes no sense.

my own position is (a) forget western support, they’re cowards, corrupt and incompetent (b) it’s not moral per se, it will be used against the cause, and neither will it be effective in bringing down the govt.

so you are a lefty after all.

wrong. it’s the supreme court that stole the 2000 election for bush. and it’s the US public fault that they accepted it. you’ve got a corrupt system and a gullible public, which is why the US is a gonner.

and there is enough evidence that ACORN is a nefarious org.

How the hell do we feel that we’re the guardians of Iran’s elections?

but we are not. where was carter, who is so good at validating dictators’ elections? was he perhaps wary of islamist iran, for which he is responsible?

and i don’t see you having problems with alibama guarding the election in honduras. why exactly there and not in iran?

there is a difference between guarding elections and taking a position on the validity of the result.

the problem with alibama is that he has a bad instinct when it comes to taking positions. and that’s because he is the first alienated anti-american president, the result of affirmative action.

check this out:

Obama to Ahmadinejad: Maybe Think About Not Killing Your Own People…And Have a Nice Day!
    By Barry Rubin

81. Johnny Asia says:

oao: “”..but your position seems to be it’s moral, but should not be used effectively,..”

Um, no. I don’t think it’s moral to fake things like that, no matter what the cause.

Remember the “babies in incubators” lie about Iraq?

Three months passed between Nayirah’s testimony and the start of the war. During those months, the story of babies torn from their incubators was repeated over and over again. President Bush told the story. It was recited as fact in Congressional testimony, on TV and radio talk shows, and at the UN Security Council. “Of all the accusations made against the dictator,” MacArthur observed, “none had more impact on American public opinion than the one about Iraqi soldiers removing 312 babies from their incubators and leaving them to die on the cold hospital floors of Kuwait City.”

At the Human Rights Caucus, however, Hill & Knowlton and Congressman Lantos had failed to reveal that Nayirah was a member of the Kuwaiti Royal Family. Her father, in fact, was Saud Nasir al-Sabah, Kuwait’s Ambassador to the US, who sat listening in the hearing room during her testimony.

If Nayirah’s outrageous lie had been exposed at the time it was told, it might have at least caused some in Congress and the news media to soberly reevaluate the extent to which they were being skillfully manipulated to support military action. Public opinion was deeply divided on Bush’s Gulf policy. As late as December 1990, a New York Times/CBS News poll indicated that 48 percent of the American people wanted Bush to wait before taking any action if Iraq failed to withdraw from Kuwait by Bush’s January 15 deadline.85 On January 12, the US Senate voted by a narrow, five-vote margin to support the Bush administration in a declaration of war. Given the narrowness of the vote, the babies-thrown-from-incubators story may have turned the tide in Bush’s favor.

82. Johnny Asia says:

oao: “and i don’t see you having problems with alibama guarding the election in honduras. why exactly there and not in iran”

Um, because one involves a military coup. Ahmadinejad won the election, and we have no evidence otherwise.

83. Johnny Asia says:

Chile redux

Talking on BBC Newsnight Kissinger says that while the US will not intervene in the current crisis, if the coup fails and a “popularly based” government is not installed (ie the one he wants), then “we may conclude that we must work for regime change in Iran from the outside”

typical leftist blindness to inconvenient realities.

the coup in honduras was not by the military, but by the ousted president. when you take public positions you should first educate yourself on the subjects you pronounce on.

so you were supportive of an immoral act, as long as it’s not used to get foreign support, which would make it useless. just as i stated.

does not look like you realize the implications of your arguments, not to mention your understanding of those by others.

85. Johnny Asia says:

This is Google’s cache of http://hejazi.ir/en/blog/. It is a snapshot of the page as it appeared on Jun 16, 2009 13:50:46 GMT.

about me, and the diaries of an Iranian editor and writer

I am Arash Hejazi, a novel writer, translator, editor, from Iran.

To know about me, you can check my profile at the official website of Caravan Books Publishing House, the publishing house which I am its chief editor.

Being an editor in Iran, has its own challenges and pecularities, quite another world, comparing it with the life of authors, editors and publishers in most countries. In Iran, we have official censorship
    and no international copyright agreement, making our book industry one of a kind. What are we doing in Iran? what do people read? and what is the position of the society of intellectuals in the international
    context against Iran? That is what I am going to write about in my blog.

more:

Johnny, are you aware that Khomeini was enabled to take in Iran in 1979 in the first place by covert and overt US support for Khomeini!! Zbigniew Brzezinski, jimmy carter’s man, was pulling a lot of pro-Khomeini strings at that time. Those who see a CIA conspiracy behind the demonstrations in Iran today should explain why the CIA/State Department would have switched sides to those against A-jad after supporting Khomeini’s takeover in the first place.

oao,

I believe it was the Honduran Supreme Court and Congress that asked the Army to kick out Zelaya because of his attempt to fiddle with the constitution.

88. Johnny Asia says:

Are Needs to Manage Uncertainty and Threat Associated With Political Conservatism or Ideological Extremity?

Three studies are conducted to assess the uncertainty— threat model of political conservatism, which posits that psychological needs to manage uncertainty and threat are associated with political orientation. Results from structural equation models provide consistent support for the hypothesis that uncertainty avoidance (e.g., need for order, intolerance of ambiguity, and lack of openness to experience) and threat management (e.g., death anxiety, system threat, and perceptions of a dangerous world) each contributes independently to conservatism (vs. liberalism). No support is obtained for alternative models, which predict that uncertainty and threat management are associated with ideological extremism or extreme forms of conservatism only. Study 3 also reveals that resistance to change fully mediates the association between uncertainty avoidance and conservatism, whereas opposition to equality partially mediates the association between threat and conservatism.

89. Johnny Asia says:

Liberals More Likely Than Conservatives To Break From Habitual Responses, Study Finds

ScienceDaily (Sep. 11, 2007) — Liberals are more likely than are conservatives to respond to cues signaling the need to change habitual responses, according to a new study by researchers at New York University and UCLA.

don’t know whether to laugh or to cry. but hey, since it’s NYU and UCLA, it must be solid. at least if you have no clue what academia is today.

my guess is probably that the more ideological one is, the less is one prone to change one’s mind based on facts, and that goes equally for left and right.

the flexibility to change one’s mind based on facts must be developed and that used to be the function of education. it is no more because NYU and UCLA and their ilk are no longer educational institutions, but socializers and conformizers.

it’s time to ignore asia, there is no point.
    prime example of a violation of the hypothesis whose truth was “proven” by UCLA and NYU.

92. Johnny Asia says:

oao: it’s time to ignore asia, there is no point.>>

We agree on that one thing, at least.

Here, perhaps you’ll trust a study by the National Science Foundation and the National Institutes of Health while Bush was in office:

* Julian Borger in Washington
    * The Guardian, Wednesday 13 August 2003

A study funded by the US government has concluded that conservatism can be explained psychologically as a set of neuroses rooted in “fear and aggression, dogmatism and the intolerance of ambiguity”.

As if that was not enough to get Republican blood boiling, the report’s four authors linked Hitler, Mussolini, Ronald Reagan and the rightwing talkshow host, Rush Limbaugh, arguing they all suffered from the same affliction.

All of them “preached a return to an idealised past and condoned inequality”.

Republicans are demanding to know why the psychologists behind the report, Political Conservatism as Motivated Social Cognition, received $1.2m in public funds for their research from the National Science Foundation and the National Institutes of Health.

Liberals More Likely Than Conservatives To Break Friendly and Marital Relationships, Study Finds

Liberals More Likely Than Conservatives To Break Past Solemn Promises, Study Finds

Liberals More Likely Than Conservatives To Break China and Glassware, Study Finds

Liberals More Likely Than Conservatives To Suffer Apoplexy Strokes in Public, Study Finds

Liberals More Likely Than Conservatives To Break Their Own Rules, Study Finds

Liberals More Likely Than Conservatives To Break Bad News rather than Good News, Study Finds

Liberals More Likely Than Conservatives To Break Therapy and their Legs, Study Finds

nope, my argument is universal. and i already stated my opinion on academia.

i rest my case. sounds exactly like what a govt funded research done by leftwing academics (which most of them are) i would expect. that it was picked up by the guardian just about says it all.

nice e.g. i thought of doing the same, but was too lazy for a troll like asia.

intellectual limitations are hard to overcome. people with no clue about science and research dump this sort of thing believing that they can impress with it rather than with the substance of the argument.

the nonscientific nature of the western society comes through loud and clear. no wonder the academics can pull anything on them.

96. Johnny Asia says:

There’s a guy with a tape measure in the video of Neda and her music teacher that was supposedly taken “moments before her shooting”. He’s measuring
    the scene, looking at the cameraman.

NEDA With Her Music Teacher 20.06.2009

The version of this video that was shown on CNN doesn’t show the guy with the tape measure:

I googled “tape measure, film crew, movie””

“To accurately focus on the subject, it is common to measure the distance (usually with a tape measure…

1st AC / First Assistant Camera

In cinematography, a focus puller or first assistant camera (1 AC) is the member of a film crew responsible for keeping the camera’s focus right during a shoot. Often this requires pulling the focus with a
    follow focus device during the take without looking through the camera (the camera operator is doing that), to compensate for camera or subject movement. The depth of field may sometimes be very small, as
    little as 1/4 or 1/8th of an inch (3–6 mm) in extreme circumstances. Most people on the set will agree that the focus puller’s job is among the most technically difficult during production.

To accurately focus on the subject, it is common to measure the distance (usually with a tape measure or, more recently, with electronic tape measures using lasers) between the camera and the subject being focused before the take.

mis15.ncarts.edu/film/151/cinema_08/film_crew.pdf

FIM 151 – FUNDAMENTALS OF PRODUCTION AND CINEMATOGRAPHY

The principal creative artist on a movie set. A director is usually (but not … A key member of the film crew, stationed by the camera, whose job it is … By using a tape measure, reference marks and a
    good sense of estimation, an …

What follows is a list of expendables that all film shoots require:

Sharpies Spring clips
    Camera tape (1” black & white) Bounce board
    Paper tape (1” black & 1/2” color) Show card
    Film cans Gels
    Bags Diffusion
    Cores Assorted batteries
    Canned air/Dust off Black wrap
    Lens tissue Swiss Army Knife
    Tape measure

Obama officials PREVENTING G8 / UN SANCTIONS AGAINST IRAN

98. Johnny Asia says:

Well, it looks like Obama can stand up to AIPAC after all!

99. Johnny Asia says:

Look at this I can only find this guy Armin Abedi on Canadian media. They have the wrong Neda photos in the background, but Neda’s “friend” Armin doesn’t notice.

Neda Agha-Soltan as epithome the State of Terror in Tehran told by Armin Abedi, friend of Neda Agha-Soltan and her fiancee Caspian Makan

The wrong Neda pics are on this page, too:

06/23/2009 06:34 pm

Armin Abedi, who knew Neda Agha-Soltan and is a cousin of her fiancé, Caspian Makan, spoke by CBC’s Heather Hiscox on Monday. The Toronto-area employee said he heard the couple wanted to unite in marriage this summer.

Well, it looks like Obama can stand up to AIPAC after all!

you’re an idiot.

101. Johnny Asia says:

How does the “Foundation for Democracy in Iran” seek to “promote democracy” in Iran with our tax dollars? Foundation co-founder Joshua Muravchik gives us a hint in his subtly-titled LA Times piece, “Bomb Iran.”

Bomb Iran

By Joshua Muravchik, JOSHUA MURAVCHIK is a resident scholar at the American Enterprise Institute.

November 19, 2006
    WE MUST bomb Iran.

June 19, 2009
    Who Put the ‘green’ in the Green Revolution?

Posted by Daniel McAdams on June 19, 2009

The United States, of course.

Arch neo-conservative Kenneth Timmerman spilled the beans on activities of the other arm of US meddling overseas, the obscenely mis-named National Endowment for Democracy, in a piece written one day
    before the election, stating curiously that “there’s the talk of a ‘green revolution’ in Tehran.” Interesting. I wonder where that “talk” was coming from. Timmerman did not appear to be writing from Iran.

Timmerman went on to write, with admirable candor and honesty, that:

Ukraine and Serbia, training political workers in modern communications and organizational techniques.

Yes, you say, but what does a blow-hard propagandist like Timmerman know about such things? Well, he should know! His very spooky Foundation for Democracy in Iran has its own snout deep in the trough of NED’s “open covert actions” against the Iranian government.

102. Johnny Asia says:

Yeah, right, an Israeli “Iranian expert”.

Johnny, I know that many of us have short memories but do you recall that when Khomeini, A-jad’s mentor, took power in Iran back in 1979, that he came in with US help. Jimmy carter and Zbig were critical of the shah on human rights/civil rights grounds. Are you insinuating in your post #114 that such outfits as the Nat’l Endowment for Democracy may have been instrumental in deposing the shah and putting Khomeini in power?? How about other popular Muslim movements like the Muslim Brotherhood? Or Hamas?

Where will we stop, Johnny?

Now, as to experts on Iran, Johnny, just who do you feel is a suitable or competent Iran expert?? Obama’s mentor, Zbig? [by the way, he's the same Zbig who mentored jimmy carter in the last century]

eliyahu,

you’re wasting your time.

the idiot is not a thinker, but an ignorant, gullible sheep.

105. Johnny Asia says:

All the Shah’s Men: An American Coup And The Roots of Middle East Terror

After nationalizing the oil industry Iranian Prime Minister Mohammed Mossadegh was overthrown in a coup orchestrated by the CIA and British intelligence. We speak with Stephen Kinzer author of All the Shah’s Men: An American Coup And The Roots of Middle East Terror and Baruch College professor Ervand Abrahamian.
    This month marks the 50th anniversary of America’s first overthrow of a democratically-elected foreign government.

In 1953, the CIA and British intelligence orchestrated a coup d’etat that toppled the democratically elected government of Iran. The government of Mohammad Mossadegh. The aftershocks of the coup are still being felt.

In 1951 Prime Minister Mossadegh roused Britain’s ire when he nationalized the oil industry. Mossadegh argued that Iran should begin profiting from its vast oil reserves which had been exclusively controlled by the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company. The company later became known as British Petroleum (BP).

After considering military action, Britain opted for a coup d’état. President Harry Truman rejected the idea, but when Dwight Eisenhower took over the White House, he ordered the CIA to embark on one of its first covert operations against a foreign government.

The coup was led by an agent named Kermit Roosevelt, the grandson of President Theodore Roosevelt. The CIA leaned on a young, insecure Shah to issue a decree dismissing Mossadegh as prime minister. Kermit Roosevelt had help from Norman Schwarzkopf’s father: Norman Schwarzkopf.

The CIA and the British helped to undermine Mossadegh’s government through bribery, libel, and orchestrated riots. Agents posing as communists threatened religious leaders, while the US ambassador lied to the prime minister about alleged attacks on American nationals.

Some 300 people died in firefights in the streets of Tehran.

Mossadegh was overthrown, sentenced to three years in prison followed by house arrest for life.

The crushing of Iran’s first democratic government ushered in more than two decades of dictatorship under the Shah, who relied heavily on US aid and arms. The anti-American backlash that toppled the Shah in 1979 shook the whole region and helped spread Islamic militancy.

After the 1979 revolution president Jimmy Carter allowed the deposed Shah into the U.S. Fearing the Shah would be sent back to take over Iran as he had been in 1953, Iranian militants took over the U.S. embassy – where the 1953 coup was staged – and held hundreds hostage.

The 50th anniversary of the coup was front-page news in Iranian newspapers. The Christian Science Monitor reports one paper in Iran publishing excerpts from CIA documents on the coup, which were released only three years ago.

The U.S. involvement in the fall of Mossadegh was not publicly acknowledged until three years ago. In a New York Times article in March 2000, then-Secretary of State Madeleine Albright admitted that “the coup was clearly a setback for Iran’s political development. And it is easy to see now why many Iranians continue to resent this intervention by America in their internal affairs.”

In his book All the Shah’s Men, Kinzer argues that “[i]t is not far-fetched to draw a line from Operation Ajax [the name of the coup] through the Shah’s repressive regime and the Islamic Revolution to the fireballs that engulfed the World Trade Center in New York.” Stephen Kinzer, author All the Shah’s Men, An American Coup And The Roots of Middle East Terror Prof. Ervand Abrahamian, Middle East and Iran Expert at Baruch College, City University of New York . Author of numnerous book including Khomeinism: Essays on the Islamic Republic (University of California Press, 1993).

eliyahu,

see what i mean?

oao,

Johnny is a Goy for me ;-)

Johnny is a Goy for me ;-)

and we know they’re not as smart as us joos, don’t we? :)

oao,

He just doesn’t hear the same song as you or me.

He just doesn’t hear the same song as you or me.

it’s not his hearing that’s his worst problem.

111. Johnny Asia says:

…. Khomeini met with the Jewish community upon his return from exile in Paris and issued a ”fatwa” decreeing that the Jews were to be protected.
    Similar edicts also protect Iran’s tiny Christian minority.

…”The funny thing is that before the Islamic revolution, you would see maybe 20 old men in the synagogue,” whispers Nahit Eliyason, 48, as she
    climbs over four other women to find one of the few vacant seats. ”Now the place is full. You can barely find a seat.” Parvis Yashaya, a film producer
    who heads Tehran’s Jewish community, adds: ”We are smaller, but we are stronger in some ways.”

Video: Iran’s Jews

The fiercely Islamic Republic of Iran, is perhaps the last place you would expect to find a large Jewish community. But despite political use of anti-Israeli slogans, Iran’s Jews appear remarkably free.

“Anti-semitism has never been the general policy of the Iranian government” explains Maurice Mottamed, the country’s sole Jewish MP. There are of course
    “glaring differences” in treatment between the majority Muslim population and religious minorities. But remarkably most of the time Iranian Jews are
    “comfortably doing everything they want to do here. We can perform all our religious celebrations.” This is an image very much at odds with fashionable
    Western opinion.

112. Johnny Asia says:

We must attack Iran before it gets the bomb

By Toby Harnden in Washington
    Published: 12:01AM BST 16 May 2007

John Bolton, who still has close links to the Bush administration, told The Daily Telegraph that the European Union had to “get more serious” about Iran and recognise that its diplomatic attempts to halt Iran’s enrichment programme had failed.

Such a strike would only be a “last option” after economic sanctions and attempts to foment a popular revolution had failed

113. Johnny Asia says:

ANOTHER fake Iran video

Titled “Iran Protest Gone bad Many Dead June 21st”

The 4 “gunshots” at the 3 second mark sound phony, and the one at the 6 second mark sounds like an air rifle, look at the guy’s face in the foreground after the “gunshot”. Does he look concerned?

The protesters are walking around very slowly, no sign of panic, then people crowd around the supposed gunshot victim with cellphones.

114. [...] Augean Stables » Is The Neda Soltan Video A Fake? Gary Trieste September 17th, 2009 We Are Neda Leave a comment Go to comments Augean Stables » Is The Neda Soltan Video A Fake? Gary Trieste [...]