Danish Cartoon clash of civilizations continues. I’m reading Jytte Klausen, The Cartoons that Shook the World for the conclusion to my book (overdue). It is a work that strikes some as genuinely “even-handed,” but strikes me as (therefore) genuinely superficial and misleading about Islam and its many manifestations in the 21st century. Anyway, if mainstream media like Yale and Comedy Central caved, cybernautic Facebook has, so far, not. As a result, demonstrations in Pakistan that take us right back to London in 2006.

One illustration of the protests in Pakistan against Facebook’s “Everybody Draw Mohammed Day

Some of the signs displayed in demonstration in London, February 3, 2006 to protest publications of Danish Cartoons.

Note the Pakistani signs in English: This is part of a global cognitive war, in which Sharia is extended to dar al Harb in the matter of treatment of the Prophet. Infidels must, as Dhimmis in dar al Islam, respect the sensibilities of the Muslims, and the death they threaten to those who refuse to obey, is precisely what Dhimmis are “protected from” as long as they remain good subjects.

Apparently, according Waqar Hussain of AFP, the vitriolic response prompted, yet more apologies.

Molly Norris, the American cartoonist whose work inspired the controversial page, condemned the Facebook spif and apologised to Muslims.

She drew a cartoon in April to protest against the cancellation of an episode of popular show “South Park”. Norris satirically proposed May 20 as an “Everybody Draw Mohammed Day.”

An “Everybody Draw Mohammed Day” page quickly turned up on Facebook but Norris, writing on her website, said she had nothing to do with it.

“The vitriol this ‘day’ has brought out, of people who only want to draw obscene images, is offensive to Muslims who did nothing to endanger our right to expression in the first place,” she said.

“I apologise to people of Muslim faith and ask that this ‘day’ be called off,” she said. (By Waqar Hussain/ AFP)

Note again, the use of the language of “gratuitous offense” as a reason to back down. “If it’s going to produce such vitriol then, come on guys, let them have their way…”

Also note that the AFP photo has no hint of death threats:

paki protest AFP photo

We walk away thinking we’re the bigger man and they win by default; they walk away thinking they won hands down and we’re cowards.

24 Responses to If it worked with the Danish Cartoons… why not let Facebook know what’s in store?

1. incognito says:

Is Klausen an expert on Arab culture, Islam and the ME? If so, how did she acquire that expertise? What did she produce up to this point that demonstrates serious knowledge and understanding of the 3 elements (and it must be all 3)?

I will be pleasantly surprised if Facebook won’t give in, but if I had to guess I would have to bet it will.
    Interestingly, Zuckerberg (founder of Facebook) is a real piece of work: stole the idea from somebody else and then the company from his partner who funded him initially. The company has been recently in the news about its use of users data. He could use some putting in place, although I would prefer it not to come from Islam.

In this Islam has for all practical purposes already won, taking into account the various incident of dhimmihood everywhere, including UN legislation. It was interesting to see Comedy Central cave in, then immediately turn around and present an anti-semitic game. As if they were saying:

1. We know who we can get away with insulting
    2. See, we are insulting the jews too, so pls don’t hurt us.

It is not Islam that brought down the west, but itself.
    Such a culture does not deserve to survive.

2. Daniel Bielak says:

1a. Cartoon Show that regularly ridicules and vilifies Jewish people (not the Jewish religion – Jewish people) and is a cartoon show which one of whose authors is ethnically Jewish

1c. That same Cartoon Show – Gently mocking the founder of a totalitarian genocidally anti-Jewish religion on which is based a huge current genocidally anti-Jewish political movement that began in the 1920′s

2. Cartoon Show and Video Game – Genocide-inciting libel against the country of the Jewish people by young presumably Jewish (ignoramous neo-Theobald) writers and young non-Jewish writers.

Responses,

1a – swallowed and pretendedly ignored by Jewish people – celebrated by non-Jewish Western people

1b – attacked with death threats against the authors; banned

2a – celebrated by young Western people

This is nothing.

I’ve seen many examples of this on TV video games.

This younger generation, of which I am a member, is one of the most ignorant, uneducated, indoctrinated, anti-Jewish generations that has existed in the past 100 years.

Violent Marxist codedly anti-Israel bands on talks shows. Nazi regalia bands on talk show.

3. Daniel Bielak says:

I numbered the two sets of listings in the set of the examples in my previous comment incorrectly.

The numbering of both of the two sets of listings in the set of the examples should be the following.

1a.
    1b.

4. Daniel Bielak says:

The class-rooms and campuses of colleges and universities in the United states have become anti-Israeli Soviet-legacy propaganda indoctrination centers and anti-Jewish anti-Israeli Islamic-Supremacist propaganda indoctrination centers.

5. Daniel Bielak says:

All of this has happened and is happening because Jewish people have allowed it to happen and are allowing it to happen and because the people who have been the leaders of making all of this happen, and who are the leaders of making all of this happen, have been people who are Jewish and are people who are Jewish.

6. Daniel Bielak says:

“Mean-spirited, truly malicious, cackled-at, anti-Jewish jokes. Racist insults against Jewish people by young American Jewish people.”

…on American television talk show. I have not witnesses these particular things in person (I have been pretty much house-bound and socially isolated for many years).

I have personally witnessed and experienced and have been extremely distressed by witnessing and experiencing other bigoted malicious antipathetic bigoted behavior towards Jewish people (including toward myself).

I have experienced my family members turn on me (in unison, say “NO!”, and to negate what they knew exactly to be true) when I started to express the situation that Jewish people have been in to a non-Jewish dinner guests, when one of the dinner guests brought up the topic of her Catholic Christian upbringing.

7. Daniel Bielak says:

“…when one of the dinner guests brought up the topic of her Catholic Christian upbringing”

…and after she expressed her being harmfully affected by it and implied her disagreement with it.

8. Daniel Bielak says:

I have witnessed my family members (including myself in the past) pretend to not be Jewish in environments where, they, and I, felt fearful of letting other people know that we were Jewish.

9. Daniel Bielak says:

The last time I saw one of my family members do this I became livid.

I lectured her and explained to her why explicitly pretending to not be Jewish, especially with people who are being friendly with you, is harmful.

If someone who is not Jewish who has not had much personal interaction with people that person knows are Jewish doesn’t know that a person who that person likes is Jewish then that just increases the effect that the normal normative Western anti-Jewish bigoted stereotype of Jewish people will have on that person’s view of Jewish people, and decreases the chances of that non-Jewish person having a positive view of Jewish people.

My family member then understood and agreed with me.

10. Daniel Bielak says:

I do not advocate advertising that one is Jewish, I advocate not deceitfully pretending that one is not Jewish out of irrational deep fear.

11. Daniel Bielak says:

I myself, in the past, disparaged Jewish people, and disparaged Israel, to non-Jewish, relatively non-religious, anti-Israel Christian European, friends of the family. I was a mildly Theobald Jew.

I have avoided seeing those friends of the family because I feel sick with remorse and anger at myself and at them because of what I did.

12. Daniel Bielak says:

“…relatively non-religious, anti-Israel Christian European, friends of the family…”

should be

“…natively European, non-religious/relatively-non-religious Christian, politically Liberal, anti-Israel, friends of the family…”

13. sshender says:

Daniel, would it be too much to ask that you stick to one or two consecutive messages, not more?

14. Daniel Bielak says:

Okay.

15. incognito says:

sshender,

thanks.

16. Daniel Bielak says:

incognito,

I know that my posts may be unpleasant and annoying to you and others. However, I don’t mean for them to be, and it would have been kind of you to have thanked me also, or to have not responded and just to have waited to see if I would honor sshender’s polite request. I will try very hard to honor sshender’s request.

17. [...] Augean Stables » If it worked with the Danish Cartoons… why not … [...]

18. incognito says:

Has anybody noticed my insistence that Obama’s intended new allies won’t give him the time of day because the US is finished?

19. incognito says:

It’s worse than that: there is crumbling even when there are no threats at all, just bastardization of language:

20. obsy says:

“Also note that the AFP photo has no hint of death threats”

Sad but true.

“All this is a good example of the true meaning of Islamophobe: people so afraid of Islam they won’t cross the Muslim street.”

Interesting!

I would even say: people so afraid of Islam they don’t dare to see Islam for what it really is.

Considering this meaning of the word “Islamophobia”, I have to agree with Erdogan: Islamophobia is a crime against humanity.

For my part, I don’t think most people of Western culture have a psychopathological fear of Islam. Nor is there, generally speaking, any hatred involved.

IMO, many people are revulsed by the violence and barbarity displayed by adherents of this religion. The fact that some religious authorities justify such acts (e.g., beheading, homicide attacks) as Islamic-compatible or even desirable adds to the aversion.

So now adherents to Islam threaten, blackmail and blame “infidels” for not willing to submit to their vision of world order. Well, my DSM-IV is not theirs.

22. [...] http://www.theaugeanstables.com/2010/05/23/if-it-worked-with-the-danish-cartoons-why-not-let-faceboo… Related Posts:USA Africa Dialogue Series – Fwd: Reply: Ending the Slavery Blame-Game UncategorizedBullies Leave a comment0 Comments. [...]

O/T – Please excuse me, but I think it’s important:

Arab women join IDF rescue units

Anwar, Rim, Fatma and Wassil reside in Kfar Kassem and Kfar Bara, two villages considered as centers of the Islamist Movement’s southern faction. All four serve in two of four Home Front Command companies containing Arab soldiers. Despite maintaining religious lifestyles they don full army uniforms, including helmets over their hijabs.

This, at a time when in Europe Moslem integration is problematic, and Islamic female dress-code is being debated.

24. [...] Augean Stables » If it worked with the Danish Cartoons… why not … [...]